Beginning in June 2015, Heartland United Way began onboarding four AmeriCorps VISTA members to build capacity in order to eliminate poverty in Hall, Hamilton, Howard and Merrick Counties.
Our VISTA members will work in four core areas:
- Poverty Elimination: work on programming to eliminate poverty, while bolstering services that aid in this process including transportation, housing and teen pregnancy support & prevention
- Community Engagement: Create public awareness about childhood poverty and develop more volunteers, programs and resources to address childhood poverty in our 4-county area
- Capacity Building: build the capacity of Multicultural Coalition by looking at funding and creating a community outreach plan to ultimately provide more programs and services to aid the growing diversity in Grand Island
- Volunteer Recruitment: specific recruitment and training for Heartland CASA for CASAs that speak Spanish, live in rural areas and are young professionals and Boy Scouts for more diverse scout leaders
- Resource Development Coordinator
- Volunteer Development Coordinator